Video Encoding and Streaming Engineer
ZATTOO | Berlin, Zurich or Ann Arbor (Michigan)
Do you get excited by the idea of building systems that efficiently encode hundreds of live TV channels, store hundreds of thousands of hours of content and delivers millions of hours of streaming video to our customers? If so, we have the job for you.
We're looking for a highly motivated software engineer to join our world class Dev-Ops Video team. You'll build and operate scalable, stable and efficient systems to encode, transcode, store, secure and deliver live and on demand video assets to our customers.
You'll be working with state of the art software tools (Cassandra, Nginx, FFmpeg). You should bring your own ideas on how to further optimize the architecture and help extending the capabilities of our system. There are lots of exciting topics on the horizon (HEVC, MPEG-DASH, 4K, HTML5 Video, DRM that works for both the content providers and the users) and we'll be among the first to bring those to users.
Last but not least, stability and quality play a big role for our product. People know their TV and don't expect it to buffer or show artifacts. Hiding the complexity and the challenges of the open internet from our users is amongst the biggest challenges, but also one of the most rewarding topics in our business. Zattoo has been a pioneer in this area and we search for team members who are capable and willing to further push the frontiers.
- Help maintaining, extending and improving our world class video backend based on state of the art technology
- Collaborating with a world class team of multi-national engineers to build and operate our video services
The Minimum Qualifications
- Experience with video and audio encoding compression technologies including H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, AAC
- Experience with adaptive bitrate streaming, specifically Apple HTTP Live Streaming (HLS), Smooth Streaming, HTTP Dynamic Streaming and MPEG-DASH
- Expert knowledge in C or C++ programming
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python or Ruby on Rails
- Experience with HTTP servers, e.g. Nginx
- Development and support of production systems and experience working within a 24x7 operations environment supporting Linux, UNIX and Windows systems.
- Experience diagnosing and troubleshooting complex systems using test tools, network management systems and error reporting systems to determine and resolve problems.
The Preferred Qualifications
- Experience with Hollywood grade DRM system i.e. Playready and Widevine
- Network know how, ideally as certified CCNA/CCNP
- Experience with or curiosity to learn state-of-the-art technologies, tools and frameworks, e.g. Cassandra, Twisted
- German language skills
Zurich- Switzerland, Berlin- Germany or Ann Arbor, Michigan- USA. Some travel will be required.
If you are interested, please contact me directly- email@example.com.
I apologize in advance for being unable to respond to any applications that do not meet the minimum qualifications.
Zattoo, headquartered in Zurich, is Europe's first and leading Internet TV provider with about twelve million registered users throughout seven European countries. Zattoo Live TV can be viewed on computers, smart phones (iPhone, Android, WP7/8), tablets (iPad, Android, Windows 8), internet connected TV sets (LG, Samsung, VideoWeb TV Box) and Xbox.
The content line up has over 200 TV channels (over 140 in Switzerland and over 70 in Germany with channels from RTL and ProSiebenSat.1 Group) including public, private and international channels. Zattoo users can choose between free advertising funded services and premium subscription based models to access content. In Switzerland, Zattoo also offers Catch-up TV, a seven day archive of all broadcasted programs, in addition to an archive for 250 programs. With more than 40 channels in HD resolution, Zattoo is one of the providers with the largest number of high definition channels in Switzerland. More information at www.zattoo.com.
We strive to satisfy existing users and attract new users by making our product better and our business stronger every day. We have grown a truly world class team of 40 men and women who make that happen together. We¡¦re all different, but as a team we share values and goals. We welcome competition and constantly outperform. We do this by having fun while focusing on long term success. We¡¦re now looking for new team members who are also truly outstanding, have proven that in the past and will showcase it during our thorough interview process.